Catching up on email..

 > Pekka Savola wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Speaking of RFC 2461(bis), some time ago I noticed the following
 > > behaviour with a popular router implementation (a support
 > case is open
 > > on this): for forwarded packets, it takes up to 24 hours (in recent
 > > software versions, up to 20 minutes) for the hardware forwarding to
 > > notice that an IP address moved from one link-layer
 > address to another
 > > on the same link if unsolicited NAs (section 7.2.6, only an
 > > optimization; few host implementations seem to send these)
 > are not sent
 > > by the hosts.
 > >
 > > My reading of the spec is that this is not compliant with
 > RFC2461, where
 > > protocol constants are REACHABLE_TIME (30s) and
 > DELAY_FIRST_PROBE_TIME
 > > (5s) -- unreachability detection could take about 35 times
 > longer than
 > > the spec.
 > >
 > > However, the spec doesn't say whether the defined protocol
 > constants are
 > > normative, and this could be explicitly stated if that's deemed a
 > > necessary addition.
 > >
 > > Any thoughts?
 > >

 >  In order
 > to be compliant with a spec (any spec), an implementation
 > MUST adhere to
 > all aspects including protocol constants.  Otherwise, how
 > would we ever
 > have interoperability?

=> I agree with this. Pekka himself mentioned that this is not a compliant
behviour according to 2461. A contant is a *contant*, which means it doesn't
change :) ....
Variables are also given max and min values, which by the english meaning of
max and min implies that you can't go outside those boundaries. So I don't
see the gain in adding that "protocol constants MUST be used" or something
like that.

Hesham

I do not see any benefit in having any