>> This is more than strictly required for interoperability.

> I think that's the key point.  It's very important to make sure that
> the things marked as "MUST" or "MUST NOT" are actually requirements
> for interoperability or anticipated development, and not just needless
> strictures.

> Otherwise, it becomes much more tedious to support enviroments that
> require slightly different values or implementations that trade off
> simplicity against precision.

FWIW, I agree.  I've not assess whether each of the RFC2461(bis)
constants can be a source of an interoperability issue, but if it's
not, "MUST" or "MUST NOT" is clearly a wrong choice.

Although SHOULD (NOT) might help clarify the intent (and I don't
oppose to adding it in this case), I'm not sure if it has a real
effect; there's always a vendor that misunderstands or even ignores a
particular part of a specification even if it's specified as a MUST.
So we won't be able to eliminate such abnormal implementations by
giving a spec a SHOULD or MUST.  We may be able to convince such a
vendor of fixing their implementation with the specific keywords, but
I personally don't see significant difference for that purpose in this
case, with or without an RFC2119 keyword.

In any case, I have no strong opinion on whether to add an RFC2119
keyword to 2461bis (as long as it's not an unnecessary MUST).

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.