On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:21 -0500, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> [...]

Hi Bert,

Conference room is a too old an uninteresting example.

This is very attractive in the cellular context. For example, you
buy a new phone, you are impatient to call someone you know (who
lives in the area). But you don't have the phone number yet. You
can even call that person for asking another person's phone number
(who is not here).

You don't think about all these possibilities today, simply
because you assume that you cannot do it.

> In any case, what makes this any different from people's e-mail
> address
> book? E-mail addresses are global, and I guess most people do not keep
> them in their heads either. They use address books, which are
> hopefully
> backed up somewhere. Same goes for web sites in the favorites or
> bookmarks folder. Easier with DNS than using IP addresses, but still
> not easy enough.

I'm not sure if you see the context I'm talking about.

> I think the name collision issue is what makes these proposals
> difficult.

OK may be I'll stop talking as if I invented multicast DNS.
Collisions are not my problem. I don't think they are a technical
problem.

You are looking for John Smith, the phone will scan all John Smiths
in the local cellular network, and you will receive 'n' results. (My
proposal comes into play only after that.)

If John Smith is a too much colliding name, this is John Smith's
problem. We cannot penalize many other users for that.

Are you arguing that this protocol is impossible and cellular
users will never be able to do that?

Thanks,
pars