On Wednesday 21 March 2007 02:42:35 Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>    Some RFCs (I know of at least 2, RFC2526 and RFC4214) reserve a set
> of interface identifiers on all prefixes. These identifiers need to be
> excluded when a node autoconfigures an address. This problem occurs with
> privacy addresses but is equally applicable to other address assigment
> methods like dhcpv6, cga etc. As Bernie suggested in a mail it would be
> good to maintain a list of such identifiers.

In practice, there is going to be a nasty problem if we reserve extra IIDs
that are currently not reserved, as older implementations will not consider
them as reserved.

Shouldn't we rather define a "large" set of reserved addresses that cannot be
used as normal IIDs - or do we have this already?

Of course, we'd still need an IANA registry at the end of the day to keep
track of which addresses in the reserved set actually have a semantic.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont