Hi Pekka,

I am not sure if RPF can catch it all.

Its not the same as bombarding the source itself. With the attack I
mention, we can actually send one packet (which goes to all members of
the multicast group). This will cause all the members of the multicast
group to send a reply to one source.

So the amplification factor is the number of multicast members in a
group. For large groups this number may be huge. Do let me know what I
am missing?

Thanks,
Vishwas

On 5/28/07, Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2007, Vishwas Manral wrote:
> I noticed one more security issue like the Destination options header
> attack. A packet is sent by using a destination header as a Multicast
> Group address, and source address of the machine to be attacked. A
> random Option type is added to the destination Options header, which
> has the highest order two bits as 10 (send ICMP Reply to the source).
>
> The above would cause ICMP packets to be sent to the source address
> from all members of the multicast group to the source. This could very
> eaily overwhelm the source

AFAICS, I don't see how this attack would be very effective.
Multicast forwarding algorithms check (for loop prevention) that a
packet destined to a multicast address comes from a topologically
RPF-wise correct direction.  So unless you assume a router has been
compromised (and all bets are off) basically you can only spoof an
address inside the subnet where the attacker is, but I don't see this
as a very useful attack myself because it'd be more effective to
attack directly.