On Mon, 28 May 2007, Vishwas Manral wrote:
I am not sure if RPF can catch it all.

Its not the same as bombarding the source itself. With the attack I
mention, we can actually send one packet (which goes to all members of
the multicast group). This will cause all the members of the multicast
group to send a reply to one source.

So the amplification factor is the number of multicast members in a
group. For large groups this number may be huge. Do let me know what I
am missing?

Sure, there is an amplification factor, but AFAICS, if the attacker's real source address if 2001:db8:1:2::F00/64, (s)he can only (for practical purposes) target an address under 2001:db8:1:2::/64. I don't see how this attack is more effective than just sending packets to that on-link address yourself at a higher rate and potentially spoofed source addresses.

So, the only thing (IMHO) worth considering is the increase in PPS along the return path from the receivers to the target (the ICMP amplification responses). Yet given that generating these errors is rate-limited, so you'd need a huge number of receivers in order to cause even a 10000pps increase; most networks are not worried about attacks of that caliber as O(100Kpps) and O(1Mpps) attacks are already commonplace with existing methods.