Hi Jinmei/ Itojun,

What do you think about this issue? I think this is serious enough to
warrant deprecation ght Option Type (10 value bits as the higher order
2 bits).

Thanks,
Vishwas

On 5/28/07, Vishwas Manral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Pekka,

> Yes RPF only checks that it comes from the right downstream direction,
> but because each hop uses RPF, a compromised router (i.e.: one that
> doesn't conform to the RPF rule) will be required in the tree if you
> would want to attack an IP not in the same subnet as an attacker.
> Depending on where the attacker is in the tree (edge versus core) you
> might likely require a large number of such compromised routers.
I agree. However for an attack we have to think of the worst case and
not the best case scenario. So even with one upstream router we could
cause a problem.

That said, I wanted to know are we considering the case where such a
doctored packet is actually tunnelled to a router in the network, from
where it travels downstream using normal multicast routing.

Thanks,
Vishwas