On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:36:42 -0400
"Manfredi, Albert E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

RFC1918 doesn't work well at all because it creates
overlapping / duplicated addressing, and NAT, with all it's worts, is
the only way, other than renumbering, to overcome that if you need to
interconnect. It's as ugly as sin to see multiple NAT boxes facing each
other when you have 2 (or more ! - and this happens at corporate DMZs
when building "extranets" to other corporates) duplicate RFC1918
addressing domains that have to be interconnected.

RFC3879, "Deprecating Site Local Addresses" describes the reasons why
site-locals were deprecated, but all those reasons are fundamentally
problems that have and do occur with RFC1918 addressing in IPv4. At
least with IPv6 we have a chance to avoid them. Having had to deal
directly with some of those reasons myself when working with IPv4, I
certainly don't want to go there again in IPv6 if possible.

> As far as my own preferences go, I liked site-local and I equally like
> mind ULA-Cs with some flexibility. Even though I have no fool-proof
> definition for what a "site" is, that covers all possible examples. I've
> no trouble at all establishing boundaries for private IPv4 addresses or
> for ULA-Cs, when it makes sense for whatever I'm doing.

I agree. I don't think it is that hard to decide on the boundry. I
think fundamentally the thing that is trying to be avoided is that ULAs
become considered "cheap" or "free" PI addressing, and then having
their reachabilty scope slowly increase overtime e.g. initially your
own network, then the networks you directly peer with, then the local city or
other continent etc.

Regards,
Mark.