"Templin, Fred L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > so my previous question stands.  what's a "site"?
>
> Paraphrasing from the 'draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp' definition
> for "Mobile Ad-hoc Network (MANET)":
>
>    site
>       a connected network region that comprises routers that
>       maintain a routing structure among themselves.  A site
>       may be as large as an Autonomous System (AS) or as small
>       as an individual router, and may also be a subnetwork of a
>       larger site.  A router (and its downstream-attached links)
>       is a "site" unto itself, and a site can therefore also be
>       considered a "site-of-sites".

by this, any connected network region comprising routers that maintain routing
structure among themselves, up to the size of an autonomous system but perhaps
as small as a single router, is a "site".  nothing is said (here) about what
else these routers might be attached to, so i assume that there can be
connectivity to other sites or to the dfz but that it's not required.  i take
the term "downstream" to mean "toward less connected sites", which would be
meaningless if all sites were equally well connected (either to each other or
to the dfz) but that's not a problem.

this is a fine high level definition of "site", from what i can see, but i
have a question... what is the difference between a site-of-sites made up of
autonomous system sized sites, vs. a site-of-sites made up of leaf sites?  if
a site can be considered a "site of sites", then the automotive exchange
network or the global internet could be shoehorned into fitting this
definition.  i don't think that's the intent, and so, where's the fine print?