On 21 Jun 2007, at 10:06pm, Scott Leibrand wrote:

[...]

If ULA-C is not available, I believe many of those networks will instead push for PI space. Once they get it, the path of least resistance is announcing it globally, so most recipients of PI space will do so, increasing pressure on the routing table and requiring more rapid upgrades (to replace all Supervisor2's in Cisco 6500/7600s running BGP, for example).

History shows us that lots of legacy IPv4 assignments are not visible in routeviews, RIS and other BGP route collecting projects. Why would IPv6 be different?

If ULA-C is available, I believe many networks will be able to use it to number their internal infrastructure, and simply use some sort of NAT to translate that into their current PA block when traffic sourced from their routers passes out onto the Internet. They can dynamically assign their customers/hosts PA space with DHCP, so that end-to-end connectivity never needs to be NAT'd.

Much of this can also be done with ULA-L, but I believe that the lack of "ownership" and the inability to do proper reverse DNS makes that solution not quite as good as ULA-C for many networks.

I wouldn't be surprised if some folks saw the lack of an external root for regular ULAs as an advantage. And while I appreciate that routing table growth is expensive, should we be encouraging people to NAT the interfaces on their internal routing infrastructure?

Leo Vegoda
IANA Numbers Liaison