Leo Vegoda wrote:
On 20 Jun 2007, at 12:07am, Scott Leibrand wrote:

Here's a use case for ULA-C that demonstrates its usefulness, and demonstrates why reverse DNS for ULA-C blocks is a valuable enough service that we shouldn't purposefully break it for the public Internet. Let's say, for example, that I'm a very small ISP with IPv6 PA space from my upstream(s). I give out subnets of that PA space to my customers in an automated dynamic fashion, and I don't run BGP, so I don't need or want PI space.

However, I do have some routers with interfaces that need numbering, and I'd rather avoid renumbering them when I change upstreams. Since ULA-C is cheap and easy to get, I register myself a block of it, and use it to number my router interfaces. Since I'd rather my customers saw DNS names instead of IPv6 addresses in their traceroutes, I delegate the reverse DNS for my ULA-C block to a nameserver on my upstream's PA space, and set up proper PTR records for all my routers.

Is this not already possible with a /48 PI assignment from ARIN?
Yes, but only if you "qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under the IPv4 policy currently in effect." That currently means you must either be a large network (qualifying for a /20), or you must be large enough to run BGP, be multi-homed, and be large enough to justify a /22.

Is ULA-C a new solution for a problem that's already been solved with PI assignments or does it solve a new problem?

I believe there is a gap between the current PI policy, which is targeted at organizations large enough to qualify for a routing slot, and the need many smaller organizations have for their own IP space for various internal uses. Some of those organizations will be happy to use ULA-L, but some will need a guarantee of uniqueness and the ability to list their IP space in DNS (.arpa) and in whois. If we can meet the needs of those organizations without having to relax the requirements for PI space, we can reduce future pressure on the DFZ.

-Scott