Alain,

> > I believe the wording allows us to add work items that the WG wishes
> to adopt.
>
> I believe this is the wrong thing to do for any wg in general and for
> a ‘maintenance’ wg in particular.
> The charter is a contract between the wg and the IETF represented by
> the AD about what should and what should not be delivered,
> this is not an open ended list of documents that the wg may feel like
> working on.

I fully agree with your principle, but this is tricky for a maintenance
WG. We do not know what bugs we are going to find or what spec
clarifications we are going to need!

Let me be clear: 6MAN is NOT a venue for people to develop
new features or to make major changes in the way that current
features of IPv6 work. It is strictly chartered to complete
current work and then only maintenance. As the charter
says:

It is not chartered to develop major changes or additions
to the IPv6 specifications. The working group will address
protocol limitations/issues discovered during deployment
and operation.

We also have a statement in the charter that requires IESG
approval of new work items (to be changed to AD approval
based on comments we received privately). This along with
the quoted text above is just about the right balance in
my opinion; the WG knows that it cannot do everything
but we do not need to list future bugs beforehand.

Jari