On 2007-08-30 02:08, Thomas Narten wrote:
Sorry to interrupt, but I'd suggest that working on a new RH design is
mostly a waste of time at this point.

Can we please _first_ identify a user/customer for a proposed RH,

I agree. A use case draft should be the first step.

Incidentally, RFC 2460 is clear that unknown headers should cause the
packet to be dropped, so the transition strategy is tricky in any case.

   If, as a result of processing a header, a node is required to proceed
   to the next header but the Next Header value in the current header is
   unrecognized by the node, it should discard the packet and send an
   ICMP Parameter Problem message to the source of the packet, with an
   ICMP Code value of 1 ("unrecognized Next Header type encountered")
   and the ICMP Pointer field containing the offset of the unrecognized
   value within the original packet.

    Brian

so
we are sure we actually design something useful? And at the same time
be sure we have a transition strategy for getting it
implemented/deployed that makes sense (i.e., doesn't require upgrading
parts of the infrastructure outside of the control of those wanting to
take advantage of the RH?)

I.e., exactly what _real_ problem are we trying to solve here?

The idea that we can define something (with no clear expected use) and
get it actually implemented and deployed is mostly naive. (My guess is
this would be an _optional_ standard, and vendors mostly wouldn't
bother to implement it -- if no one actually needs it).

One can argue that the whole RH0 debacle results from designing
functionality for which there was no clear customer/use. Time and time
again, this sort of protocol design results in (at best) wasted
effort.

Thomas