Rough guess - ISPs don't like the prospect of having to look at/for ext hdrs of
every packet ...

/TJ (mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Brian E Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; "IPv6 WG" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: 8/29/07 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: New Routing Header!!!

Problem is, I have no trouble seeing uses for RH0, or whatever new
scheme takes its place. The only problems I've seen mentioned repeatedly
are the potential for DOS attacks in ISP nets.

But ISP nets are not the only application for IPv6.

So why don't ISPs simply filter out any RH0 traffic from their edge
gateways, and leave it at that? And the rest of us can still make use of
this tool, with no change required to RFC 2460.

As always, there are workarounds like MPLS, if RH0 is eliminated. I'm
having a hard time understanding why edge router filters don't work
infinitely better than a mod to RFC 2460.

Bert