Hi all,

>Hi bill, Hi Stig, Hi *,
>
>bill fumerola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 03:58:54AM +0200, Stig Venaas wrote:
>>> I'm not arguing for keeping source routing here, but one quite useful
>>> thing it can be used for is traceroute. You can for instance trace from
>>> a remote point in the network towards yourself. This can be very helpful
>>> when debugging routing problems.
>
>First, thank you both for the feedback.
>
>Having spent quite some time doing that on the IPv6 internet, i basically
>got to the conclusion that if you don't precisely know the router you
>send your packets to (the waypoint that will bounce your traffic based
>on RH content), you spend more time debugging the reaction of that
>router than what happens on the path.

First, a qualifier: my own IPv6 knowledge and experience is and has been (and
FWIW will likely remain) in R&D, not operations.

That said, the above point seems brilliant in its simplicity. The effectiveness
of traceroute from A <-> B would have to be delimited by the intermediate
nodes(s) 'willingness' &/or ability to forward these IPv6 packets (containing
RH0), as well as the destination's 'willingness' &/or ability to process them.

_Not_ rhetorical: I'm wondering how often (and what percentage of times) such a
use of RH0 would have to be successful in order for it to be (at least
generally) considered an example of a valid use case.

There are routers that drops

Best Regards,

Tim Enos
Rom 8:28