Le Tuesday 18 September 2007 23:43:30 Templin, Fred L, vous avez écrit :
> Brian,
>
> After having discussed with others, please see attached
> for a proposal that addresses the MTU issues for tunnels.
> It also addresses the multi-mtu subnet issue, since it
> does not rely on ICMP "packet too big" messages from the
> last-hop router.

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, I think MRU (Max Receive Unit) is a lot
more readable that EMTU_R.

From a technical perspective, this strikes me as:
- It requires knowledge of informations that is often hidden/not provided to
the tunneling implementation, including path MTU and IP ID. That makes it
possibly unimplementable without strong integration/dependency between the
tunneling and the outer IPv4 stacks.

- It requires maintaining quite a bit of extra state per neighbor. I have
received complaints that Teredo relays are having scalability issues already
now due to the growing numbers of clients, and adding more per-client state
would make matters worse.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/