Hi Remi,

I agree about the cosmetics, however "EMTU_R" is precisely
defined in RFC1122 and is used in this document exactly
per its RFC1122 specification. I couldn't find a similar
reference for "MRU".

> From a technical perspective, this strikes me as:
> - It requires knowledge of informations that is often hidden/not provided to
> the tunneling implementation, including path MTU

The tunnel endpoint (TE) doesn't need to look into the
IPv4 path MTU discovery cache, if that's what you mean.
The TE determines the tunnel MTU through its own probing
and does not rely on ICMPv4 "fragmentation needed"
messages.

> and IP ID. That makes it
> possibly unimplementable without strong integration/dependency between the
> tunneling and the outer IPv4 stacks.

Well, the document is asking for the TE to take charge
of the ip_id it assigns in the outer IPv4 header. For
tunnels that have a NAT on the path to the TFE, that
requirement may be relaxed somewhat since the NAT can
just rewrite the ip_id anyway.

> - It requires maintaining quite a bit of extra state per neighbor. I have
> received complaints that Teredo relays are having scalability issues already
> now due to the growing numbers of clients, and adding more per-client state
> would make matters worse.

Well, its really just a few extra entries in a conceptual
neighbor cache. And, it is soft-state that can be managed
the same as for the RFC2461 neighbor cache. (In fact, the
state can just be added as an extension to the RFC2461 NC
for IPv6/*/IPv4 tunnels.) I will take a closer look at
Teredo relay, however.

Thanks for the comments,

Fred