Brian E Carpenter wrote:
We're arguing past each other.

I am never going to agree that we have a shortage of bits
in ::/64. If we waste those bits due to inserting an
unnecessary hierarchy in the prefix assignment process,
shame on us. If the current registry practices are having that
effect, then we need to work with the registries to change
their practices.

It isn't the registries that are the problem, nor is it the problem of anyone in any particular hierarchy.

It is merely that hierarchies exist.

And it isn't necessarily a "today" problem, like we have in IPv4.

It's a "2-3 years from now" problem, which exists *only* during a window where the core Internet infrastructure consists of lots of routers doing both IPv4 and IPv6, without lots of players
having to do massive core-wide infrastructure upgrades.

Here's the problem I forsee, in a nutshell:

If, or when, significant numbers of ASNs start having to get additional IPv6 allocations from their RIRs, allocations which are typically PA (for reassignment to their customers), at a time when most ASNs have migrated to dual-stack IPv6, the total number of IPv6 prefixes *in the DFZ* becomes a problem.

The underlying problem is that any recipient of a single direct IPv6 allocation, has the ability to use it all up, without being irresponsible in the allocations given out, in a time frame that hits this window.

And the worst thing about this is, if *any* recipient can do this, there is a strong likelihood that *many* will do this.

If an ISP gets a /32, and gives out /48's, which they can do without requiring supporting documentation, and reserves space for each allocation (say a nibble), that leaves only 12 bits of "range", or 4096 customers.

I dare say that there are a fair whack of ISPs with that many customers, who are most likely to get only
a /32.

Even *if* RIRs are reserving space for them adjacent to those original assignments, there is nothing that
would stop anyone from announcing two adjacent /32's instead of a /31.

Think of the addition of each single extra prefix from each ASN, as something akin to an allergen. It doesn't take very many to cause an allergic reaction in the core. The goal is to be *extremely* conservative about allocation schemes, so as to avoid for as long as possible, the need for *any* recipient of directly
allocated space (from their RIR) to get a second allocation.

What I'm attempting to do, is ensure this doesn't happen in the "window" timeframe, by having much more space given out relative to the minimum allocations - something that can only happen if there are more bits.

(After some point in time, I would expect the dominant infrastructure to be IPv6, with islands of IPv4 hold-outs
whose needs might be adequately served by IPv4-to-IPv6 proxies.)

If we get another 16 bits, with /80 as the minimum, then end assignments of /64, from ISP blocks sized at /40, for example, even when allowing for 8 bits above the /64 and 8 bits above the /40, gives lots more space for growth at each level, 16 times as many potential customers, and a much lower likelihood that anyone,
let alone lots of folks, will need to ask for more space inside of 10 years.
Choosing EUI-64 format was a strategic decision taken from
a very long term (many decades) viewpoint. I see no case
for changing that choice.

I'm not arguing for changing *all* of IPv6 away from EUI-64.

I'm arguing *for* *allowing* choices of II format of EUI-64 *or* any other suitable unique II specific to the layer 2 medium.

For Ethernet, one such choice would be EUI-48 (which is what MAC-48 is supposed to now be called, per IEEE).
And, for those situations where RA prefix size + II size < 128, padding.
(Possibly special-cased so that when RA prefix size is /64, for compatibility reasons, it uses EUI-64 format for the II.)

Any place where advanced IPv6 features are necessary, whatever those may be, that *require* /64, can trivially be supported by use of /64 by network administrators.

Anywhere those aren't needed, I am advocating use of /80 instead, so as to preserve both address space, *and* ability to do autoconf. I *do* see autoconf as an important feature.

I fully realize that *there are* in use today, numerous technologies whose MAC is EUI-64. Those obviously *need* /64.

But, there is a vastly huge deployed IPv4 infrastructure that neither wants, nor needs, any IPv6 features beyond IP connectivity, where IPv6 is treated as "IPv4 with more bits" (plus autoconf instead of dhcp).

*IF* I'm able to convince you that the situation warrants more bits, would you agree that what I propose is a reasonable compromise towards that end?

(You don't yet have to agree that the situation warrants more bits.)

Brian