In your previous mail you wrote:

   Francis, I don't think BCP status would change this; that's still a

=> I disagree: the procedure for BCPs is lighter and BTW there is nothing
when you look at it which justifies a standard track (we should not
promote it to a draft standard for instance :-).

   IETF consensus document.  Maybe some implementations could fix their
   implementations with local hacks without as easily becoming (on paper)
   incompliant but they can already do this in any case.

=> a BCP is far more flexible if you add the term "compliant", and
it is not a surprise a best current practice can change.

I don't believe to make it a BCP will solve automagically all issues
but at least it will repair a historical error.

Thanks