From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Pekka Savola
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:50 AM
To: JINMEI Tatuya / ????
Cc: Iljitsch van Beijnum; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: RFC3484 destination address selection rule 2 is buggy

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
> v4:{site-local,global} is special and is not that harmful as long as
> the network is properly configured (I know we cannot always assume
> that, though).  When a link-local address is the only available
> address for host, there should normally be no IPv6 default router
> either.

The scenario where a router advertises the default route yet does not
advertise any prefix information (or prefix information does not set the
autoconfig bit) is still a valid scenario (e.g., I could imagine
DHCPv6-only deployments using this; in fact I believe if you want to run
DHCPv6-only this is the only choice to for deploying default
route) and it should be addressed.

<hs>
Welcome to access concentrators service provider (vs. enterprise)
deployments, one type of which is a cable deployment, the router will
send an RA with no Prefix Information Option (PIO). Access concentrator
networks (RFC 4388) use both a router and DHCPv6. Such deployments are
really large in scale, so indeed this is a valid scenario for
consideration for any protocol design. In IETF 70 presentation to 6man,
I had also said, access concentrator deployments have hosts behind
modems as always off-link to each other.
</hs>

Iljitsch noted in the original mail that his default route existed even
though he moved to ietf-464nat network (the nexthop was answering to
ping but was not sending RAs).

It is true that the case made in draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault-03 is
already somewhat mitigated by implementations which no longer implement
the "on-link by default" rule but that alone does not seem sufficient.

Is moving from one network to another (using the same interface) a
scenario where you should purge the default route? (Even if the nexthop
is still responsive?)  Should you purge the default route if the link
goes down (I suspect not -- e.g. with 802.11 link with bad coverage this
could be a problem)?

<hs>
DNA is taking care of such an issue where a host moves from one subnet
to another.
</hs>

Hemant

It seems to me that there are also valid scenarios where exactly the
same problem appears in addition to many scenarios which are usually due
to misconfiguration.  I believe our protocols should be robust enough to
cover both valid scenarios and (if there aren't major
drawbacks) common misconfigurations.