Pekka,

I do not agree with your statement that " If the non-64 prefixes had
not been proscribed, we wouldn't have been able to use the existing
engineering method to develop CGA/SEND specifications."  The prefix
length will always be available to the device, either as a
configuration variable or in the router advertisements.  RFC 3972 could
just as easily have used the 128 - prefix length leftmost bits of a
SHA-1 hash (160 bits).  As a result, I would call it a weakness of CGA
rather than a reason to abandon non-64 prefixes.  Further, the
inability to use CGA does not prevent the use of SEND.  RFC 3971
specifies "RSA Signature" and "Timestamp and Nonce" as options as well.

This argument also holds for the use of EUI-64 addresses in SLAAC.
There is no reason why the 128 - prefix length rightmost bits of the
EUI-64, with the additional requirement that the U/L bit would have to
be in the last rather than the first octet.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Dunn
Info Systems Eng., Lead