-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 8:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Dunn, Jeffrey H.; ipv6@ietf.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Sherman, Kurt
T.; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Martin, Cynthia E.
Subject: Re: what problem is solved by proscribing non-64 bit prefixes?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> In a typical IPv6 ADSL household landscape...
>>
>> An ADSL IPv6 operational deployment offers a /64 prefix at home.
>> With that, I can't subnet _and_ use IPv6 stateless
>> auto-configuration.
>
> In a typical IPv6 ADSL household landscape the ISP will assign you a
> /48 with plenty of subnetting space.

Not sure, FWIW, in the IPv6 ADSL household I live in gives me a /64 and

not /48 (see draft-despres-v6ops-6rd-ipv6-rapid-deployment-01.txt).

That's typical for me but I don't know about the other deployed IPv6
ADSL, do they give /64 or shorter prefixes?

Alex