-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mohacsi Janos
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:08 AM
To: Alexandru Petrescu
Cc: Sherman, Kurt T.; ipv6@ietf.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Martin,
Cynthia E.
Subject: Re: what problem is solved by proscribing non-64 bit prefixes?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> In a typical IPv6 ADSL household landscape...
>>>
>>> An ADSL IPv6 operational deployment offers a /64 prefix at home.
>>> With that, I can't subnet _and_ use IPv6 stateless
auto-configuration.

>> In a typical IPv6 ADSL household landscape the ISP will assign you a
>> /48 with plenty of subnetting space.
>
> Not sure, FWIW, in the IPv6 ADSL household I live in gives me a /64
and not
> /48 (see draft-despres-v6ops-6rd-ipv6-rapid-deployment-01.txt).
>
> That's typical for me but I don't know about the other deployed IPv6
ADSL, do
> they give /64 or shorter prefixes?

The draft-despres-v6ops-6rd-ipv6-rapid-deployment-01.txt is largely
irrelevant in this discussion, This draft describing a particular
solution
that can be implemented by the ISPs if:
1. they have complete operational control over the CPEs installed users
2. They want to implement IPv6 quickly
3. They users are using only one subnets which is the allocated /64.

In general - my recommendation when I giving tutorials about IPv6:

- /48 to /128 is delegated to end users
- /48 general case, /47 if justified for bigger networks
- /64 if one and only one network is required
- /128 if it is sure that one and only one device is going to be
connected

between /48 - /64 up to you if you are cautious about address
conservation:
- but use nibble boundary for easier reverse DNS delegation.

Regards,
                Janos Mohacsi: