On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:31:27 +1300, Brian E Carpenter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well I'm not completely certain whether involving users here would
>> provide very good experience,
>
> I see your argument, but failing silently doesn't seem like a
> good idea.

It is only worse. What will actually happen then is, NAPT66.

>> and certainly operators would not be happy
>> to see vendors' devices complaining about limitations of their network:)
>
> Too bad. This is actually a consumer protection issue;
> it seems completely appropriate to require that the
> reason for failure should be notified to the paying user.

Failing silently or loudly are no options. You cannot blame the operator if
you expect him to subsidized your device sale. You cannot fail if your
competitor "just works" by using NAPT66.

Unfortunately, users are notoriously bad at appreciating good and clean
engineering over functional and ugly hacks.

>> I would not like to see IPv6 NAPT, but I see that as a real risk if
>> network is using DHCPv6 for allocating hosts just /128 addresses but at
>> the same time is not willing to delegate prefixes on demand.
>
> Agreed.

Pardon my ignorance. Is there a concrete case of this in some access
network standard?
(I heard some rumors thereabout)

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont