One quick response first...

At Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:59 -0400,
"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shem...@cisco.com> wrote:

> >- Section 1:
> >  Due to the tricky implication on on-link vs being neighbor (see
> >  above), if we wanted to keep it (note that I'm against it) the
> >  following cannot hold:
>
> >     A host only performs address resolution for IPv6 addresses that are
> >     on-link.
>
> >  because the host would have to perform address resolution for a
> >  "neighbor" but not necessarily an on-link node.  (if we also remove
> >  the tricky implication, this can be automatically solved:-)
>
> <hs>
> I don't see anything tricky, nor do I see any reason for the
> statement above to not hold.

Whether it's tricky or not (admittedly it's a subjective term), the
statement doesn't really hold.  Consider the following example:

- There is a host X.  X has a global address P::X, but has no
  information about on-link prefixes (for X, only link-local addresses
  can be considered on-link).  Note that even P::/plen is not
  considered an on-link prefix for X.
- There is another host Y with a global address P::Y.  Y somehow knows
  P::X is a neighbor of it.  Y also somehow knows the link-layer
  address of P::X.
- Y sends an NS to P::X without link-layer source address option, with
  the source address being P::Y.
- X tries to respond to the NS with NA.  The NA must be sent to P::Y.
  But since X doesn't know the link-layer address of P::Y, it first
  needs to perform address resolution.  On the other hand, according
  to the revised "on-link" definition, P::Y is not considered
  "on-link" (for X).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.