At Tue, 5 May 2009 10:11:33 -0400,
"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shem...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't consider your example as valid because there is at
> least one step in your example's sequence of events that is invalid.
> That step is mentioned below in quotes
>
> "- Y sends an NS to P::X without link-layer source address option, with
>   the source address being P::Y."
>
> According to RFC 4861, a mcast NS MUST include the src link-layer
> option. So if the NS in your example was a mcast NS with no source
> link-layer option, then the NS is invalid.  Further, if your NS is a
> unicast NS which is a NUD message, then the L2 link-layer address of
> Y is available to X when X receives the unicast NUD message.

It's of course unicast (note the "to P::X").  BTW I don't understand
this part: "the L2 link-layer address of Y is available to X when X
receives the unicast NUD message."  Why is this ensured?  For example,
X may have just been rebooted and its neighbor cache may be empty.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.