On Jul 31, 2009, at 3:06 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

is basically UDP except the checksum would only covering the IPv6 and
transport header. Hmmph, this is just like UDP-Lite really but it seems like there is opposition to overloading UDP-Lite. Then the 64- translators
would convert it to normal UDP/IPv4... ?

Why do you think that this would be "overloading UDP-Lite"? And what is the opposition?

We used UDP-Lite in a very similar situation in CAPWAP for very similar reasons. We needed to be able to checksum-protect the outer headers in an IP-in-IPv6/UDP(-ish) encapsulation, and we did not want the encapsulator to be required to (re-)checksum the entire payload. IMO, that is a very sound reason to use UDP-Lite, and one that has IETF precedent in at least one standards-track RFC.

Margaret