Hi Noel,

On Aug 7, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: Francis Dupont <francis.dup...@fdupont.fr>
the O UDP checksum proposal obsoletes all the today deployed nodes
which check them (so all hosts I know and perhaps a lot of routers too)

OK, so what are the other options for encapsulating a packet in a IPv6
packet?

We could just do an IP-in-IP encapsulation, so the headers would be IPv6-LISP-IP(v4 or v6), but that does not address the LAG/ECMP concern.

I'm told by some people that UDP-Lite isn't a standard yet? Or is it? (It seems to have a protocol number issued?) Does UDP-Lite work through NAT boxes? (LISP has a mobile-node mode, which we would like to see work through NAT boxes, so any proposed alternative solution has to work through NAT boxes
too.)

UDP-Lite is a proposed standard, RFC 3828.

Also, hosts aren't an issue - and in fact it's a _feature_ that hosts will
discard any LISP packets they see (for having bad checksums).

Unless the host implements LISP. See my earlier message on this subject... Do we think it will be possible to disable IPv6 UDP checksums everywhere that LISP needs to run? On many of today's host systems, sending a UDP packet with a zero checksum is simply treated as an indication that the NIC card should perform the checksum.

Margaret