On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Ross Callon<rcal...@juniper.net> wrote:

> There isn't all that much IPv6 traffic right now (some please correct me if
> this is wrong), and the ramp-up speed seems relatively

'much global ipv6 traffic'. There are places with more ipv6 traffic,
where LAG/ECMP is important. These 'internet protocols' get used on
'not the internet' networks as well.  Additionally, across links not
gig in size, but still lag/ecmp-aware.

> slow. Thus to me it seems that the time frame that it would take to change
> router hardware is long, but no longer than the time
> frame that it is likely before we find ourselves with enough IPv6 traffic
> that we actually need to do a good job of ECMP splitting of

'enough global/public ipv6 traffic' - I would caution that there are
places where LAG/ECMP is necessary today, or will be in the very near
future, that are not publicly visible.

> traffic going over an IPv6 tunnel. Thus I think that it would be okay to do
> this by putting a hash of higher layer flow information into
> the flow field, if we think that is the right way to do it.

-chris