Joel> Given that LISP ITRs work by intercepting packets that are
    Joel> not addressed to them, a host implementation would need to
    Joel> be able to intercept packets "in the stack".  That is going
    Joel> to need some ability to modify kernel behavior.

I'm trying to figure out how an ITR does anything different than a
router with a tunneled interface.

Every host I'm aware of has a facility for setting up an interface
that routes some set of packets--including potentially the default
route--through a tunnel interface that then passes the packet to
userspace for processing.