I believe that saying "ITRs don't receiving packets." is a linguistic step that only confuses people.

You are right, but your text wasn't clear if the packets were coming from the site or from the core. So I assumed you were referring to the Map-Request or Data-Probe case.

ITRs receive unencapsulated packets from the site, and encapsulate them in LISP headers (assuming

Right, just like any router does today.

mappings are already available.) Now, one can argue that the ITR function in the router does not "receive" packets, since it was the router that received the packet. (One can even argue that the router "intercepted" the packet rather than "received" it.) But functionally it is the same thing.

I am not following you, but don't bother to explain. You are making a subtle point about forwarding versus consuming packets? Where an ETR would consume an encapsulated packet because its addressed to itself and when an ITR receives packets from site hosts, that it is forwarding?

Dino

Yours,
Joel

Dino Farinacci wrote:
Given that LISP ITRs work by intercepting packets that are not addressed to them, a host implementation would need to be able to intercept packets "in the stack". That is going to need some ability to modify kernel behavior.
(1) ITRs don't receive packets. They encapsulate packets.