Hi Bob,

I don't understand this comment. The entity I am calling
"stub router" is simply trying to find a way to forward
packets on to their final destination using the best
possible exit router. There is nothing said or implied
about "priority".

> This is definitely not true in enterprise networks.

This is actually all about enterprise networks; in some ways,
an ISP network can be seen as just a special case of an
Enterprise network.

> We have other ways of doing this in a more general fashion such as RFC4191
> "Default Router
> Preferences and More-Specific Routes".

Exactly; this document very much expects that stub routers
will advertise RFC4191 more-specific routers.

> I don't see any need to define "stub routers" and see a lot
> of harm doing so.  For example, in an enterprise, routing may be setup to
> keep the traffic inside of
> the enterprise for a long as possible and not use the local ISP connection.
> The inter-enterprise
> links might be much faster.

The way it works is that the stub router may have a default
route but may not have a more-specific route to the destination
inside the enterprise. It then sends the packet to a default
router which hairpins it back to a router within the enterprise
that aggregates the more-specific route, but also sends a
redirect back to the stub router that originated the packet.
The stub router then sends an RA to the enterprise router
that aggregates the more-specific route, then subsequent
packets flow through the more-specific route and eliminate
the dogleg.

So yes; packets stay inside the enterprise and do not go out
the local ISP connection only to come back in again.

Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com