Le 14/04/2010 23:51, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
Alexandru,

I find this proposal to change the Flow Label behaviour to come in
too early, at a point where we don't yet have widespread use of
simple Flow Labels (or is it widely used?).

But that's the problem. If you have read the -02 draft, you will
understand that flow label usage today is essentially non-existent.

Ok, it is draft-carpenter-6man-flow-update-02 and I will comment on it
separately.

Usage is not going to occur unless we make it desirable - and it's
quite clear that RFC 3697 did not succeed in making it desirable. So
either we do something, or we continue to carry 20 useless bits in
every IPv6 packet.

I mainly agree to make Flow Labels desirable.  Towards that end one
would consider two other cases where Flow Labels were considered:

- MEXT' WG draft-ietf-mext-flow-binding-06 "Flow Bindings in Mobile
  IPv6 and NEMO Basic Support";
- ROLL WG's intention of use of Flow Labels in RPL
  protocol  draft-ietf-roll-rpl-07.

Currently their way of considering flows and Flow Labels respectively is
incoherent with old Flow Labels - and with new Flow Labels too.  Or
probably are they about to get in synch(?).

Why has MEXT WG defined a new flow id instead of reusing the IPv6 Flow
Label?  Is it because of security?  The new 6MAN Flow Labels don't
improve on security, they're still uncovered by IPsec.

Why has ROLL WG looked at mutable Flow Labels?  Is it to change it
enroute and restore it when getting out of the flow label domain?  The
new flow labels don't seem to impose the restoration, in my reading.

Are the new Flow Labels better adapted to MEXT and to ROLL?

Alex

Please forget the -00 and -01 drafts, they were completely overtaken
by the discussion at IETF77.

Regards Brian