Le 30 juil. 2010 à 14:42, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) a écrit :

> Hi Mohacsi:
>

>> - applications relying on 20 bits flow bits should be sought and
> fixed. I believe
>> they assumed the flow field is immutable
>
> That was the second point I made at the mike. We'll have to have a
> deprecation path if we change anything. We faced that with RH0, we faced
> that with site local. The sooner that happens the less it will hurt.
>
> Let's face it, the current status is that we have 20 bits in every
> header that are mostly wasted.

> Providing rules restricts the freedom of
> what we could have done with those bits, but at least they become
> useful.
Full agreement on this point.

What about this combination (not documented yet, it seems)
- Hosts that send non 0 FLs, MUST do it with a value that:
 . is common to all packets of their flow
 . generally is different from one flow to another
- non 0 FLs MUST be preserved e2e.
- 0 FLs may be changed anywhere, but with the same constraints as in hosts.

In addition,
- A flow is specified by its 5-tuple, if it exists, or its 3-tuple otherwise.
- The FL value assigned to a flow MAY be EITHER:
 . a hash of the flow identification (simple because stateless), OR
 . a pseudo random number (more complex because stateful, but providing an
utmost privacy protection
The choice between hash or randomness is made where the FL is set. Other nodes
don't need to know what has been chosen.

Regards,
RD

PS, I added to the list Tony Hain with whom we discussed FL issues in
Maastricht.