On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Mark Smith
<i...@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:49:18 -0400
> Christopher Morrow <christopher.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (most of the discussion seems to be revolving around a simple, to me,
>> phrasing problem, but)
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Hemant Singh (shemant)
>> <shem...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> > We are discussing off-link model and RFC 5942 is described in this RFC.
>> > Further, when an interface of a router acquires an IPv6 address or
>> > receives an RA, the interface is acting as a host.
>> >

>> anyone that configures a router with RA is headed for disaster
>> anyway... (not a cpe device mind you, though most of those will get
>> addressing via pppoe/pd and not RA so...)
>>

> I wouldn't be so sure about that - the CPE draft says the following
> about WAN interface configuration, with Router Discovery i.e. RAs is a
> MUST -

I did say 'not a cpe device'... I would point out that a /64 with your
customer on it is a very large place to hide :) (nd probing/scraping
probably finds the customer easily,  but strikes me as heavyweight to
find a customer you know is at the end of a ptp dlci/vc)

>  W-1:  When the router is attached to the WAN interface link it MUST
>         act as an IPv6 host for the purposes of stateless or stateful
>         interface address assignment ([RFC4862] / [RFC3315]).
>
>   W-2:  The IPv6 CE router MUST generate a link-local address and
>         finish Duplicate Address Detection according to [RFC4862] prior
>         to sending any Router Solicitations on the interface.  The
>         source address used in the subsequent Router Solicitation MUST
>         be the link-local address on the WAN interface.
>
>   W-3:  Absent of other routing information the IPv6 CE router MUST use
>         Router Discovery as specified in [RFC4861] to discover a
>         default router(s) and install default route(s) in its routing
>         table with the discovered router's address as the next-hop.
>
>   W-4:  The router MUST act as a requesting router for the purposes of
>         DHCPv6 prefix delegation ([RFC3633]).
>
>   W-5:  DHCPv6 address assignment (IA_NA) and DHCPv6 prefix delegation
>         (IA_PD) SHOULD be done as a single DHCPv6 session.

these seem good though, in principle. I wonder how (probably not for
this list/discussion though) this works out in practice.

I still hold to the 'anyone who uses RA for router (real router, not
cpe) interface address assignment is headed for disaster' there's no
way to manage/monitor/maintain/etc in a non-deterministic config such
as that. operations folks heads will explode :(

Thanks!
-Chris