Hello,

Thank you for your comments. Thanks to Jinmei's and other messages to the
mailing list, I got keenly aware of the fact that what is obvious and what is
unobvious depends much on the background of each person. I thought
"directly-connected" was an obvious concept, but it was not. I'm sorry for the
ambiguity.

> If another "significant meaning" is the check "if an eBGP peer is directly
> connected by comparing the peer address against directly connected interface
> addresses" (quoted from another message of this thread), I'm not sure if this
> is a requirement of the protocol or a requirement/convention of particular
> implementations.  Regarding the protocol specification, RFC4271 doesn't seem
> to require it: for example, section 5.1.3. 2) states that the source address
> of the peering connection can be used for NEXT_HOP, whether or not that
> address shares the same prefix with the peer.

Yes, it can. But it matters and is distinguished. It's hard to tell if it's
just a convention or not.  However, if there is a gap between the protocol
theory and the reality (operational practice and actual implementation), I
think it's good to make some concession.

It's OK to regard the /127 usage as an instance of "off-link", especially if
it's less controversial. Thanks again for the inputs.

Miya