One of the problems I have with this draft is that I don¹t think all of the
hardware platforms necessarily will support it in hardware.  Saying, ³oh
well, it¹s a layer violation², is not good enough ­ we routinely look at the
ethertype (in the L2 header) of the packet and match it up with the L3
header to prevent bogus packets from exercising paths in the router that can
lead to crashes.  This is called
³sanity check², and it is used for both security and stability reasons.
Just because the RP doesn¹t do this kind of check (presumably for
performance/layering reasons), doesn¹t mean that the check isn¹t being done
in hardware.   Good luck trying to get the hardware teams to upgrade their
hardware...

- Wes