Can you point us to the text in RFC 3810 that says "an IPv6 Receiver Node
SHOULD drop..." and "...MAY NOT..."?

The paragraphs in RFC 3810 that contain the word "unicast" read:

   o  "source list" is an unordered list of zero or more unicast
      addresses from which multicast reception is desired or not
      desired, depending on the filter mode.  An implementation MAY
      impose a limit on the size of source lists.  When an operation
      causes the source list size limit to be exceeded, the service
      interface SHOULD return an error.

   The Source Address [i] fields are a vector of n unicast addresses,
   where n is the value in the Number of Sources (N) field.

   In MLDv2, General Queries are sent to the link-scope all-nodes
   multicast address (FF02::1).  Multicast Address Specific and
   Multicast Address and Source Specific Queries are sent with an IP
   destination address equal to the multicast address of interest.
   *However*, a node MUST accept and process any Query whose IP
   Destination Address field contains *any* of the addresses (unicast or
   multicast) assigned to the interface on which the Query arrives. This
   might be useful, e.g., for debugging purposes.

   The Source Address [i] fields are a vector of n unicast addresses,
   where n is the value in this record's Number of Sources (N) field.

   Version 2 Multicast Listener Reports are sent with an IP destination
   address of FF02:0:0:0:0:0:0:16, to which all MLDv2-capable multicast
   routers listen (see section 11 for IANA considerations related to
   this special destination address).  A node that operates in version 1
   compatibility mode (see details in section 8) sends version 1 Reports
   to the multicast address specified in the Multicast Address field of
   the Report.  In addition, a node MUST accept and process any version
   1 Report whose IP Destination Address field contains *any* of the
   IPv6 addresses (unicast or multicast) assigned to the interface on
   which the Report arrives.  This might be useful, e.g., for debugging
   purposes.

What you are arguing is that a statement which is not made in the RFC is
normative in the way you interpret it, and making a statement that disagrees
with your preconception but disagrees with no statement actually made in the
RFC is a protocol error. As I read it, RFC 3810 doesn't normally expect it (for
obvious reasons) but doesn't preclude it. This memo commits the egregious sin
of making the statement and specifying the cases in which it is argued to be
appropriate.