    Pascal> Hi Brian:

    Pascal> The Hop by Hop is certainly the clean solution.

    Pascal> The trouble is that it requires additional bytes in every
    Pascal> packet for the header and for the IP-in-IP encapsulation
    Pascal> that goes with it; yet RPL operates in a domain where
    Pascal> devices can be strictly constrained in energy and frames can
    Pascal> be very small, so every bit counts quite dramatically.  Thus
    Pascal> we're looking for more affordable alternates. We have
    Pascal> started a 6MAN document on the IP in IP avoidance for
    Pascal> instance.

    Pascal> Here, the point is not to get the flow label definition
    Pascal> impacted by RPL but to see if the flow label can be used by
    Pascal> RPL within the definition that 6MAN will refine. If we have
    Pascal> enough mutable bits, then we can allow an alternate mode in
    Pascal> RPL whereby those they are used as opposed to the HbH.

So one solution is for RPL to just do what it wants to inside the LLN,
and use IP-in-IP for packets that arrive at the LLN border with a
non-zero FL.  (ditto for packets that have to leave)

This makes the extra bytes the exception rather than the rule.

It also can be turned off in closed networks where the FL has been
coordinated across the AS.

This would be facilitated by the rule that we can set a zero FL to a
non-zero value.

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.