>> So, to sum up: yes, we know that the IPv6 link local addresses exist
>> on our routers, no we don't normally "deal" with these addresses in
>> any way.
>
> and hope we don't have to, because they are not reachable, not uniqie, have
> no mapping to the way we think of and name the interfaces, ...
>
> and yes, margorie (a local name for ole), we're stuck in time wanting to
> think of and name interfaces in the unique and global way we have for 25
> years.  > after all, the interfaces are unique and globally reachable.
>
> randy

The whole point of IPv6 is to make addresses and prefixes plentiful. If global
addresses facilitate the management of peering, why exactly would we not
provide sufficient allocations to the network managers? Do we really believe
that allocating prefixes to 100,000 or even 1,000,000 interconnection points
will deplete the stock? That would just be less than 1 hundred thousandth or
one 1 billionth of the available space!

-- Christian Huitema