Suresh,

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Krishnan [mailto:suresh.krish...@ericsson.com]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 6:29 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Subject: RE: Consensus call on
adopting:draft-krishnan-6man-rs-mark-06.txt

>The AN functionality is defined in the BBF documents. I am not
>sure we should cut and paste it from there. The document in question
>(TR-101) is listed as a normative reference in this draft.

Thanks much for the TR reference and your clarifications.  Let me go
through the TR document and then get back to you.  However, I would
still strive (if it's not too much trouble) to describe the AN in your
document for IP properties like "is a LAN switch", can support an IPv6
address, will encapsulate ND RS message received from the home etc.
Conversely, just highlight what IPv6 functionality the AN can't support.

>No. The ethernet aggregation network will ensure (using MAC learning)
>that only the specific AN that has the sender attached will get the RA
>packet.

What do you mean by "ethernet aggregation network"? Is that the
Aggregation Node in Figure 1 of your document? I thought there is just a
VLAN between the Edge Router and then Aggregation Node. Then it is clear
from your document that there a VLANs between the Aggregation Node and
each of the AN's.  VLANs tell me the each of the Aggregation Node and
the AN's are at least a network switch.  So why wouldn't a RA destined
to the home from the Edge Router with a destination of FF02::1 not reach
other AN's?  Isn't a switch supposed to flood packets to all ports for
FF02::1?  See this text from RFC 4541 in square bracket below.

[In IPv6, the data forwarding rules are more straight forward because
MLD is mandated for addresses with scope 2 (link-scope) or greater. The
only exception is the address FF02::1 which is the all hosts
 link-scope address for which MLD messages are never sent.  Packets with
the all hosts link-scope address should be forwarded on all ports.]

Also how does the above text map to the doctored RA with L3 multicast
destination and L2 as unicast destination?

>I am not sure I understand the problem. The original RS packet is sent
>unchanged. IMHO, the LIO does not need any additional fields.

The AN may receive any set of IPv6 packets, so first the AN somehow
captures the multicast destined RS.  Once such a multicast RS has been
captured, the AN encaps the RS in an outer packet and adds the LIO to
the outer packet.   Well, isn't this a common type of RS in your
document - meaning this multicast destined RS is commonly sent by the
host in the home?  My question was, how does the AN "sniff" or capture
the unicast RS since the AN also needs to encapsulate such an RS in an
outer packet right?  By understanding how does the AN "sniffs" a unicast
RS, I'd guess more of the L3 functionality of the AN as in how
sophisticated is the AN's IPv6 deep packet introspection.  Also, to
reiterate, doesn't the AN need to process a unicast RS as well?

>None of the devices do. The goal of the LIO is to make sure that two
>different subscriber lines never get the same prefix for SLAAC.

I understand the goal.  Interesting.  Can you give an example prefix
sent in a PIO of a RA to a single home example, please? I want to see
how much address space is being wasted by giving a different prefix to
each home for the home to initiate SLAAC on.

>If you are talking about duplicate link-locals, there is a different
solution
>proposed for it. Please see
>
>draft-costa-6man-dad-proxy-00

Thanks for this document reference.  Another document for me to look at.
However, I need to know if the home device can create a link-local
address and then issue a NS(DAD)?  Such details should be added to your
document.  Then as I said earlier, why not tighten DSL modem specific
standards to say, the modem first creates a link-local address, performs
DAD, and only then issues an RS.  Then the RS is assured to include the
Source Link Layer Address Option(SLLAO).  On receiving such an RS, the
Edge Router can now just unicast the RA back to the home.  In a network
architecture, I find it better to send a unicast control packet like the
RA rather than sending an RA which is doctored for L2 as unicast with a
L3 multicast destination. Also, since your document in section 2 draws a
parallel to a DHCP relay agent, why not borrow one more idea from
DHCPv6? Note DHCPv6 messages travel over a link-local address.  So an
IPv6 host does not issue a DHCPv6 SOLICIT unless the host has a
link-local address.  That is what I am suggesting - don't send the RS
till the home device completes DAD for the link-local address.  Anyone
can keep me honest if it is prohibited by any of RFC 4862 or RFC 4861
for a host to wait for completing DAD for link-local address and then
issuing an RS.   Also, the home device in the DSL modem can certainly
support a link-local address.  At least the DSL modem has got to be a
full IPv6 device, doesn't it? If not, why not?

>As I said, the deployment models are covered in the BBF TR-101
>document update for IPv6. It is listed as a normative reference.

As I said above, link-local address creation and performing DAD should
be highlighted for what device such functionality is possible in Figure
1.

Thanks much,

Hemant