Hi Suresh,

thanks for your reply. Continued inline...

On 18 August 2010 16:03, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krish...@ericsson.com>wrote:

> Hi Woj,
>  Thanks for your comments.
>

> On 10-08-18 07:11 AM, Wojciech Dec wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question or two to the draft authors who can hopefully clarify
>> the expected context and working of this scheme, which at the moment is a
>> bit unclear.
>> In essence the problem this draft appears to be trying to solve is using
>> RS/RA messages to induce state into intermediate or IP edge devices like
>> what is done for DHCP, with the LIO being used to induce such state. All
>> this is presumably meant to take place following an RS message sent by a
>> client. Thus, my questions are:
>> How does this solution cope in a case where the client does not send an
>> RS? (or the RS sending has timed out)?
>>

> The first sign of life from the client is either an RS or a DHCPv6 message.
> If the network does not see either of the messages, there will be no address
> allocated/prefix advertised to the client. The client will not have any
> connectivity.

Hmm, but if the first sign of life is a DHCPv6 message from a client , then
why would the RS LIO be needed ?

Now, in the case of a non DHCPv6 client, given that such clients are do time
out from sending RS messages, how does the solution cater to that? Just
leaving clients with no connectivity seems like a highly undesirable
proposition/outcome...

-Woj.