Suresh,

Please see in line below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Krishnan [mailto:suresh.krish...@ericsson.com]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 4:13 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Subject: Re: Consensus call on
adopting:draft-krishnan-6man-rs-mark-06.txt

>The return RA message cannot be encapsulated as a large majority of the

>Access Nodes do not have an IPv6 address (or even an IP stack for that
>matter). They are performing some layer 3 functions without having a
>complete IP stack.

Hmm, that's a very nebulous definition of the AN.  It would be good to
provide more details about the AN in the document so folks understand
what L3 functions the AN can do - match IP functionality of the AN to
the IPv6 node-req document so we know what all can the AN support.
Since the AN IPv6 functionality is fuzzy, is the AN ever an IPv6 router?
If not, then drop all text from the document that discusses not changing
Hop Limit in the tunneled RS packet.  The document also needs to explain
other boxes in Figure 1 for what IPv6 network functionality do they
support - especially the devices in the home.  What is the link-local
domain in Figure 1?  Which device(s) can create a link-local address and
issue DAD for the address?  If the DSL modem in the home (whose
specification lies totally in the DSL standards body) always first
creates an IPv6 link-local address, issues a NS(DAD) and then sends an
RS.  Then the RS will always have a src IPv6 address and then the RA
from the Edge Router can be unicast at L3 and L2 to the home.  However,
if the DSL standards bodies do not want to specify such behavior of the
DSL modem, then why not consider another alternative.  When the src IPv6
address in the received RS is the unspecified IPv6 address, the Edge
Router encapsulates the RA in an outer packet with LIO destination
option and sends the outer packet to the all-nodes destination.  If an
AN can capture an RS with all-routers destination, the AN can also
capture a packet with all-nodes destination address.  More than one AN
receives the encapsulated RA, right?  Each AN sees an LIO in destination
option and only the AN whose line id matches the LIO processes the
encapsulated RA and other ANs can drop the packet.

Further, since section 5.2 says the AN does not need to process any
downstream unicast RA's, what is the functionality on the AN for
upstream RS's?  I understand the AN can process multicast destined RS