On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM,  <sth...@nethelp.no> wrote:
>> > Redirects are a key part of the Internet architecture. Always have
>> > been.
>>
>> Not sure if you actually looked at the configuration sampling I posted, but
>> redirects are not actually used in networks these days.  The only places
>> where i've seen it used are in "hacked together" networks and were removed.
>> While perhaps useful in the 80's and early 90's, there have been numerous
>> cases where redirects have been harmful to networks that I've operated.
>
> Agreed, redirects should *not* be enabled by default.

wow, longest thread about 2 words... ever.

Please take my vote as:
1) redirects MUST be implemented.
  I don't like them, they don't have auth info in them, but I can see
cases where they may be useful.
2) redirects MUST NOT be on by default
  I can see a vendor deciding that on platform X they choose to enable
redirects as a default. I hope that no router with more than 2
interfaces on it, and meant for 'not in the home' usage would choose
this path.

editorial-foo:
Quite a bit of the conversation seems like particular use cases being
abused for a point.

I can see that for large/core network devices there is no need, and
significant complexity in maintaining codebase with redirects. In
these places I'd prefer to just not have it included at all, but I
definitely don't need it on by default.

For enterprise-edge, CMTS, wireless deployments I can see that using
redirects may be more useful (leaving aside the issues Jared brings up
about 'well designed' network architectures) so having the codebase
there seems 'ok' to me, suggested configs and/or default configs on
those platforms may even have it enabled.

For home/cpe type deployments maybe it makes more sense to have this
enabled, so linksys/dlink/buffalo/etc could choose to just enable it,
worst case the consumers revolt and .... it gets disabled in the next
rev.

-chris