On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Christian Huitema
<huit...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> yes. this seems like a case of something that looked like a great idea
>> 12+ years ago (rfc2461  was published in 1998, LOTS of things have
>> changed since that time) but is upon reflection maybe not a great
>> idea.
>
> As codified 12 years ago, redirects were supposed to solve two problems:
> multiple subnets on the same link; and non-broadcast networks. The discussion
> on this list makes it pretty clear that the "multiple subnet" use case is
> rare enough, that redirects have harmful effects, and that they should not be
> enabled by default.  But if we do not have something like redirects, how do
> we handle non-broadcast networks?

I think my stance (and jareds and mikael and stenar) was that having
redirects is good/acceptable, having them on by default is not
good/acceptable.

So... for 'non-broadcast' networks you enable that feature on the
interface(s) in question. Again, I can imagine some helpful instances
where the vendor codes the router to say: "Hey, that's a non-broadcast
interface, here I fixed it for ya!" though as Jared points out making
that sort of thing very, very obvious in the config AND docs would
certainly be nice as well.

-Chris