> yes. this seems like a case of something that looked like a great idea
> 12+ years ago (rfc2461  was published in 1998, LOTS of things have
> changed since that time) but is upon reflection maybe not a great
> idea.

As codified 12 years ago, redirects were supposed to solve two problems:
multiple subnets on the same link; and non-broadcast networks. The discussion
on this list makes it pretty clear that the "multiple subnet" use case is rare
enough, that redirects have harmful effects, and that they should not be
enabled by default.  But if we do not have something like redirects, how do we
handle non-broadcast networks?

-- Christian Huitema