Hi Woj,

On 10-08-25 04:31 AM, Wojciech Dec wrote:
Hi Suresh,

thanks for looking further into this problem, and publishing an updated draft 07. Let me however stress that this problem is one very strictly tied to the (supposed?) usage context of the RS-mark mechanism, and thus it really needs to be described/addressed in the rs-mark draft, not some other.

I respectfully disagree. Here's why. The RS-mark mechanism describes how RSs are marked and how the responding solicited-RAs are sent. It has got nothing to do with other neighbor discovery messages. e.g. Unsolicited multicast RAs, Redirects, DAD NS/NAs, Address resolution NS/NAs etc. which are sent as defined in RFC4861/62. The draft simply does not mention anything about these other messages. If you can clarify why you think this is relevant to this draft, I will certainly add it here.

The reason for this is simple: On regular SLAAC networks, RAs get periodically ad-infinitum multicast to all nodes allowing such nodes to perform SLAAC, thus the loss/timeout of a client in sending RSes does not matter much. In contrast, and in what I currently understand as the RS-mark usage scenario to be, no such periodic multicast RA is sent until the client sends an RS.

This is not true. The draft does not modify RFC4861/RFC4862 behavior in any way for unsolicited multicast RAs.

> Hence, clients that time out from sending RSes have no
> chance of running SLAAC or connecting, other than perhaps through some
> manual intervention.
Draft 07 does not appear to address this issue, while it most definitely should given its rather serious consequences for regular ICMPv6 clients. Could you explain to us the mechanism from recovering from this problem (eg CPE reload?)? On the email thread, there was mention of a) this being an allowed un-recoverable failuire scenario or b) multicasting RAs downstream. The text in draft 07 does not reflect either, so which one is it?

Multicasting an RA is not optional. Period. So b) is a given. The draft does not have to specify this. It needs to be done in any compliant network. The question is whether this periodic unsolicited multicast RA needs to contain a PIO usable for SLAAC. For this, my answer is a NO.

Cheers
Suresh