Josh Littlefield pointed out where I was confused - I reversed RS and RA, so my
text should have read:

...a further comment on using standard stacks.  There is a potential problem
with using RS as "sign of life": if the node receives an unsolicited RA before
it sends an RS, the node will accept that RA and never send an RS.  The node
waits a random interval between 0 and 1 seconds before sending an RA and the
default delay time between unsolicited RAs is 600 seconds (all of these details
from RFC 4861).  If I have the scenario and details (choosing default values)
all correct, that means the node has an average 0.00083 probability (1/1200) of
receiving an RA before sending an RS.  So, roughly 1 in 1,000 nodes will fail
to send an RS and trigger the unicast RAs.

- Ralph