On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Fred Baker <f...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
>> this all gets 'crazy', I suppose if we wanted to route on flow-label
>> not destination-ip-address this might happen, but ... that seems
>> 'crazy' as I said before :) since not everyone would be using the
>> flow-label (maybe) and inconsistent routing would suddenly make the
>> internet look a lot like a PSTN network (to me).
>
> well, we could talk about MPLS... that has always seemed to me a might
> PSTN-ish.

yea... sad, eh? (but handy at times, sadly)

> My presumption here is that flow label routing would be within a single
> administration or a set of consenting administrations, and as such would not
> be affected by whether neighboring administrations chose to use it r chose
> how to use it.

ah! I missed the 'single admin domain' part in the original message.
Inside a single admin-domain sure, this looks like mpls without the
mpls-label, maybe that's an advantage, maybe not.

> One example of a use case for it is in the IAB-TE.pdf deck (google that, it's
> under iab.org somewhere) that Jason Schiller used in the IAB Routing Workshop
> a few years back. One of the questions was how to simplify this case: We have
> N+1 ISPs, one that is in a bad way and N others trying to get data to it.
> They are interconnected by some number of undersea cables (and therefore
> lambdas), which are in turn operated by multiple administrations.

yup, the latam example.

>        ,-------.           ,-------.
>     ,-'         `-.     ,-'         `-.
>    /     ISP #1    \   /     ISP #2    \
>   (                 ) (                 )
>    \               /   \               /
>     `-.         ,-'     `-.         ,-'
>        `-------' ||     || `-------'
>                  ||     ||
>          Undersea||     ||Undersea
>             Cable||     ||Cable
>           Network||     ||Network
>                  ||     ||
>                  ,-------.
>               ,-'         `-.
>              /               \
>             (     ISP #3      )
>              \               /
>               `-.         ,-'
>                  `-------'

(nice art!)

> ISP #3 has a problem; due to the issues of laying undersea cable, "just add
> bandwidth" is a lot more easily said than done. The total amount of traffic
> destined to it approximates the capacity of the cables/lambdas in use, but of
> course varies in composition over time. As a result, ISP #3 is forever
> gerrymandering /24s to bias traffic towards one link or another. ISPs #1 and
> #2 go slightly mad with route flaps as a result.
>
> What I am about to describe doesn't solve load spreading across ISPs #1 and
> #2. But, for the traffic that arrives at let's say ISP #1, if its ingress
> nodes were each given permission to route traffic for ISP #3 to one of the
> relevant cables/lambdas up to some rate, and then to a second cable/lambda up
> to some rate, and so on. The sum of the rates granted to the ingress points
> is less than or equal to the rate of the cable/lambda in question. What this
> means is that ISP #1 is in control of its own routing without being
> micromanaged by the ISP downstream, and can sell a service to ISP #3 of
> delivering the indicated data in a manner that is reasonably load balanced
> across the cables/lambdas connecting them.

seems crazy still (still managing state somewhere), but I grant the
example works out in principle. As you say below, today this is done
with mpls or other encap technologies (or could be), using something
NOT encap'd sounds like a win.

> One could just as easily imagine doing that with MPLS; the point is to have
> an appropriate set of tags. I just happen to not be fond of circuit or
> virtual circuit networks, and I think this doesn't require the explicit N^2
> problem implied by a mesh of LSPs.

thanks! (that clarifies it for me, and I hope gets us out of a rathole)
-Chris