On 8 sep 2010, at 3:18, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> The flow label field is always unprotected (no IP header
> checksum, not included in transport checksums, not included in
> IPsec checksum). It cannot be verified and can be used as a
> covert channel, so it will never pass a security analysis. Thus
> some firewalls *will* decide to clear it, whatever the IETF
> wants. This is inevitable, for exactly the same reason that the
> diffserv code point is rewriteable at domain boundaries.

Two related remarks:

There is currently no writeup of how to use the flow label for ECMP. And as far
as I can tell there are no implementations of this either. Which is a real
shame.

There is work going on on creating "multipath TCP" where a TCP flow is split
into subflows which take different paths. (See the MPTCP wg.) Currently, it is
assumed that the paths are defined by the source/destination address pairs, but
there are many paths that can't be selected this way. A different way to do
this would be to have a path selector value in packets which the MPTCP (or
other multipath transport) can use to tell routers to use different paths for
different subflows. The flow label would be a very good choice for this, it
would then bascially be a "subflow label".

Considering the above, in my opinion:

- we shouldn't lock down the flow label such that only one flow label per flow
is allowed because this would impede future innovation

- zero flow labels are still created by many systems, but these would hamper a
flow label based ECMP. Rewriting zero flow labels into a real flow label
somewhere in the network would therefore be a useful function

- arbitrarily changing flow labels could break stuff like flow label based
multipath and flow label based ECMP

In other words: the flow label wouldn't be immutable, but non-zero values
SHOULD NOT be rewritten.